This month's DIY is a little more complex than the last effort I made, which was more of a customisation challenge than a DIY! Conversely, this one is probably one of the most difficult I've done so far; and it's not difficult at all, but it did involve a skill I've never been able to master before, that of putting a sleeve in.
I got the pattern and idea from one of my favourite blogs, Boat People Vintage. It's actually a blog/YouTube channel combined and Ari, who edits the site, makes such lovely pieces but it's set up in a way that makes it very easy to follow. I used the pattern and size charts downloadable from the blog, and if you want to have a go at this make you can click here to check it out!
The base of the box top is a fabric square to which you attach two tapered rectangle sleeves. It really is that simple-you end up with a boxy, slightly cropped top when you turn it through. On Ari's version she left her seams exposed but I stitched the fabric right side together so that i could turn it through to have hidden seams.
I added a lace trim around the neck which gives it a really feminine edge. I bought the lace to customise some jeanshorts with but it didn't look right so I used it on this instead.
I'm really pleased with how this turned out, especially given that I've not really attempted anything with sleeves before! It took around an hour to make and was really fairly straightforward, I bought the fabric from eBay which cost about £5.